Friday, May 11, 2007

Favorite Fictions

My brother sent me a list of his ten favorite novels, so I sent him mine. Based on that list, I came up with this...

Favorite Fiction Stuff

  1. Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett
  2. The Makioka Sisters by Junchiro Tanizaki
  3. The Ghost Writer by Philip Roth
  4. Solomon Gursky Was Here by Mordecai Richler
  5. From Here to Eternity, The Thin Red Line, and Whistle by James Jones
  6. Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
  7. The Parker Novels by Richard Stark (Donald E. Westlake)
  8. The Shining by Stephen King
  9. Kokoro by Natsume Soseki
  10. Bleak House by Charles Dickens
  11. The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
  12. The Bridesmaid & Death Notes by Ruth Rendell
  13. Farmer in the Sky (and all the other "juveniles") by Robert A. Heinlein
  14. The Tales of Jacob by Thomas Mann
  15. The Maigret Novels by George Simenon
I'll probably go back and provide some commentary for this list at a later date. Right now, I'll note that it looks like I'm not a huge fan of short stories: in this case, looks aren't deceiving, although I should also point out that I'm not really a huge fan of long novels, either.

These are all books that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to (just about) anyone.

No comments: