1. Andre De Toth - Day of the Outlaw alone means he belongs in the company of Mann, Boetticher, and Peckinpah.
2. Joe Dante - It's criminal that he doesn't make more movies. He should be the guy directing Transformers.
3. Allan Dwan-Made great (or at least very, very good) movies in five consecutive decades. Plus - that filmography! 423 director credits!
4. Blake Edwards - Arguably the greatest living American popular filmmaker. Unfortunately, not the greatest working popular filmmaker.
5. Philip Kaufman - Still underrated! Invasion of the Body Snatchers is The Grand Illusion of sci-fi/horror flicks.