Thursday, March 1, 2007

"Reverse" Re-makes

In honor of The Departed's Best Picture win, here are my dream "reverse" remakes - Hollywood movies that I would love to see remade by non-Hollywood casts and crews:

Collateral, starring Ching Wan Lau and Andy Lau, written by Felix Chong and Alan Mak, directed by Andrew Lau. I like the heightened, pop-operatics of Infernal Affairs and the set-up of Collateral strikes me as being similarly juicy B-movie material.

Click, starring Naoki Hosaka and "Beat" Takeshi (in the Christopher Walken role, 'natch), written and directed by Takashi Miike. A little more perversity and a little less crudity, no?

The Illusionist, starring Gaspard Ulliel, Roxane Mesquida, and Dominique Pinon, written and directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro (as long as we're dreaming, here). As much as I wanted to like The Illusionist, I was under awed by the illusions themselves - their CGI roots were showing. Also, my guess is that these guys might have a more nuanced take on the aristocracy.

No comments: