I feel that I'm finally caught up enough with my movie-watching that I can throw out an interim "best list" that (a) doesn't have any filler and (b) took some thought/reflection about what didn't make the cut.
1. Two Lovers (James Gray)
2. Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)
3. Pontypool (Bruce McDonald)
4. Duplicity (Tony Gilroy)
5. Summer Hours (Olivier Assayas)
6. Liverpool (Lisandro Alonso)
7. Public Enemies (Michael Mann)
8. You, the Living (Roy Andersson)
9. World's Greatest Dad (Bobcat Goldthwait)
Number 10, right now, would be a tie between Beeswax (Andrew Bujalski) and Coraline (Henry Selick).